Radial head - neck fracture
You have a small fracture in the radial head or the radial neck, one of the bones in your elbow. We treat this fracture with a pressure bandage and a sling. In this brochure you can read more about it.
Wear a sling, remove it as soon as pain allows this.
Wear a pressure bandage, remove is as soon as pain allows this.
|1-4 weeks||Start exercises: bend and extend the arm (do not turn the arm).|
|4-6 weeks||Move the elbow in all directions, when the pain allows it.|
|After 6 weeks||Start sports.|
- Wear a pressure bandage and sling, this keeps your arm in a comfortable position.
- Usually you do not need the pressure bandage and sling after one week. We therefore advise you to stop using the sling after one week, when the pain allows you to do this. When the pain is too strong after one week, you can wear the pressure bandage for another week.
- You can replace the pressure bandage yourself. You can use the pressure bandage you are wearing at the moment, or you can buy a new bandage at the pharmacy. You can find instructions on how to apply the pressure bandage in the app BovenIJ Trauma and in the link in this folder underneath.
- The fracture is close to the joint. Therefore, start bending and extending the arm as soon as the pain allows you to do this. This prevents the elbow from getting stiff. You can find exercises in this information folder.
- Are you in pain? Use a mild pain killer, for example paracetamol. Do not wait with paracetamol until the pain is too much. You are allowed to take a maximum of 4 times a day, 2 tablets of 500mg, on fixed times.
More information online
Virtual Fracture Care app
|Openingstijden||24 uur per dag|
|Route||Via ingang Spoedpost (achterzijde van het ziekenhuis)|