Greenstick fracture in children
Your child has a small fracture in the lower-arm, a greenstick fracture. It is a buckle in the bone. This fracture is treated with a brace and a sling. You can read more information on the fracture and its treatment in this brochure.
Wear a sling, remove it as soon as the pain allows this.
Wear the brace.
|2-3 weeks||Wear the brace, remove it as soon as the pain allows this.|
|3-5 weeks||Move the wrist freely.|
|after 5 weeks||Start sports.|
- The brace and sling keep your arm in a comfortable position
- Wear the brace for two weeks. Is your child in too much pain after 2 weeks? Your child can use the brace in the third week. After the third week you should not wear the brace anymore.
- Your child can wear the sling as well, it can be removed as soon as the pain allows you to do this.
- The fracture is close to the wrist. Therefore, it is important that your child starts moving the wrist after 1-2 weeks. This prevents the wrist from getting stiff and improves the healing and recovery.
- After 3 weeks your child can gradually start all activities again. This is only when the pain allows your child to do this. When it is not possible it is better to wait for a few days.
- When your child takes a shower, the brace can be removed. Make sure that the arm is completely dry before putting on the brace again. You can find instructions about putting on a brace in the app, BovenIJ Trauma or in the link underneath in this folder
- Is your child in pain? Use a mild pain killer, for example paracetamol. Do not wait with paracetamol until the pain is too much.
More information online
Virtual Fracture Care app
|Openingstijden||24 uur per dag|
|Route||Via ingang Spoedpost (achterzijde van het ziekenhuis)|