Fifth Metatarsal Fracture of the foot
You have a fractured bone on the outer part of your foot (fifth metatarsal fracture). We treat this fracture with a removable boot (walker).
A fracture of the fifth metatarsal bone is a common injury. The fracture is treated with a removable boot (walker). This treatment helps for the pain and is the fastest way to recover. In the hospital you can rent crutches.
The fracture can be in different locations of the metatarsal bone, zone 1 or zone 2. The treatment of a fracture in zone 1 or zone 2 is different. The doctor will tell you about your injury and tick the box that is for you.
|Time||Treatment: Fracture in zone 1|
|0-1 week||Wear Walker, do not walk on the foot|
|1-4 weeks||Wear Walker, as soon as pain allows this|
|4-6 weeks||Remove Walker, use the foot as soon as pain allows this|
|After 6 weeks||Start sports|
|Time||Treatment: Fracture in zone 2|
|0-1 week||Wear Walker, do not walk on the foot|
|1-6 weeks||Wear Walker, as soon as pain allows this|
|6-8 weeks||Remove Walker, use the foot as soon as pain allows this|
|After 8 weeks||Start sports|
Follow the instructions for an optimal recovery.
- You need to wear the walker for 4 weeks (zone 1) or 6 weeks (zone 2).
- The first week you should not walk or put pressure/weight on your foot, therefore you should rent crutches at the hospital. After one week you can gradually start using the leg while wearing the walker, as long as the pain allows you to do this.
- Did you get a tubigrip? You should wear this a few days until the swelling is reduced. During the night you should not wear the tubigrip.
- You can remove the walker during the night. You can find instructions on how to put on the walker in the app BovenIJ Trauma or in the link underneath in this folder.
- The walker immobilizes the joint. Therefore, start exercises after 4-6 weeks, to prevent the foot from getting stiff. You can find exercises in the app BovenIJ Trauma or in this information folder.
- The first 6-8 weeks you should not practise sports. After 6-8 week you can gradually start sports again, when the pain allows you to do this.
- Are you in pain? Use a mild pain killer, for example paracetamol. Do not wait with paracetamol until the pain is too much. You are allowed to take a maximum of 4 times a day, 2 tablets of 500mg, on fixed times.
- This fracture almost always heals well with time and use – no specific treatment is required and therefore routine follow-up is unnecessary.
- Physiotherapy is not necessary. Are you not satisfied with the function of the foot after 8 weeks? You can ask for a referral from your general practitioner.
- Does the pain increase, or does it not get better? Please contact the fracture-phone (Breuklijn). We will make an appointment when it is necessary.
U can always call us.
Do you still have questions after reading the folder? Contact the hospital ‘Fracture’ phone, number 020 – 634 6194 available Monday – Friday 10.00-12.00 and 13.00-16.00. Do you have questions about payment or insurance? Contact your insurance company or visit www.bovenij.nl page ‘Kosten en verzekering’ (in Dutch).
More information online
Virtual Fracture Care app
In the Virtual Fracture Care app you can find more information about your injury. You can also find exercises here to improve your recovery. You can find the app in the Appstore (iPhone) and in the Google Store (Android).
For a video about the Walker visit the following link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RUlHPYcWyQ
Contact BovenIJ Hospital
Fracture-Phone (Breuklijn) Mo – Fr 9.00-12.00 / 13.00-16.00
020 - 634 6195
020 - 634 6200
For us it is important that our patients are satisfied. That is why we aim to treat you as well as possible during your visit. Despite our effort, it is possible that situations occur which can make you feel unhappy. Are you dissatisfied? Please let us know, so we can find a solution together.
Fifth metatarsal fracture of the foot
After a fracture of the fifth metatarsal stiffness, loss of strength and loss of coordination can occur. The exercises described below can prevent this. After wearing the walker gently move the ankle in all directions and gradually resume daily activities within the limits of discomfort. Every step you take is an exercise. Thereby you can start the exercises described underneath after 4-6 weeks (after 4 weeks for a zone 1 fracture and after 6 weeks for a zone 2 fracture), at least 3 times a day. Start with the exercise 1 stretching while sitting on a chair. When this goes well, start exercise 2 stretching while standing up.
- Practice at least 3 times a day and make at least 10 repeats.
- Optional: you can practice in warm water for more comfort.
Take a chair and start with the following stretching exercise.
Stand up and start with the next stretching exercise.
|Openingstijden||24 uur per dag|
|Route||Via ingang Spoedpost (achterzijde van het ziekenhuis)|