You have a fracture of the toe (phalanx fracture). We treat this fracture with a tape, called a buddy tape.
A fracture of the toe is a common injury. The fracture is treated with a buddy tape. A buddy tape attaches the injured toe to the toe next to it and thereby immobilises the injured toe. We advise a sturdy shoe to minimize the pain and optimize the recovery.
|0-1 week||Buddy tape and a sturdy shoe.|
|1-2 weeks||Wear Buddy tape, remove it as soon as pain allows this. Wear a sturdy shoe|
|After 3 weeks||Start sports.|
Follow the instructions for an optimal recovery
- Wear the buddy tape for 1 week, if you are in pain you can wear the buddy tape for another week.
- When it is necessary you can replace the buddy tape yourself, you can buy new tape at the pharmacy or use the tape you got at the Emergency Department. There are instructions on how to re-apply the buddy tape in our app, BovenIJ Trauma.
- You can stand on the foot when the pain allows you to do this. When it is necessary you can rent crutches.
- Place your foot higher up while you are resting to reduce the swelling. For example, putting it on a chair. This will help for the experienced pressure and pain will decrease.
- We advise you not to practise sports the first three weeks. After three weeks you can start sports again, when the pain allows you to do this.
- Are you in pain? Use mild pain killers, such as paracetamol. Do not wait with paracetamol until the pain is too much. You are allowed to take a maximum of 4 times a day, 2 tablets of 500mg, on fixed times.
- This fracture almost always heals well with time and use – no specific treatment is required and therefore routine follow-up is unnecessary.
- Does the pain increase, or does it not get better? Please contact the fracture-phone (Breuklijn). We will make an appointment when it is needed.
U can always call us.
Do you still have questions after reading the folder? Contact the hospital ‘Fracture’ phone, number 020 – 634 6194 available Monday – Friday 10.00-12.00 and 13.00-16.00. Do you have questions about payment or insurance? Contact your insurance company or visit www.bovenij.nl page ‘Kosten en verzekering’ (in Dutch).
More information online
App BovenIJ Trauma
In our app, BovenIJ Trauma, you can find more information about your injury. You can also find exercises here to improve your recovery. You can find the app in the Appstore (iPhone) and in the Google Store (Android).
Contact BovenIJ Hospital
Fracture-Phone (Breuklijn) Mo – Fr 10.00-12.00 / 13.00-16.00
020 - 634 6194
020 - 634 6200
For us it is important that our patients are satisfied. That is why we aim to treat you as well as possible during your visit. Despite our effort, it is possible that situations occur what will feel undeserved. Are you dissatisfied? Please let us know, so we can find a solution together.
|Openingstijden||24 uur per dag|