Broken 5th Metacarpal bone
You have a minor break near the knuckle (fifth metacarpal fracture). We treat this fracture with tape and a pressure bandage.
A fracture of the fifth metacarpal is a common injury. The fracture is treated with tape (buddy tape) and a pressure bandage for extra support.
|0-1 weeks||Wear the buddy tape and pressure bandage
Remove pressure bandage as soon as pain allows this and keep wearing the buddy tape
|1-3 weeks||Remove buddy tape as soon as pain allows this|
|3-6 weeks||Move your hand freely|
|After 6 weeks||Start sport activities|
Follow the instructions for an optimal recovery.
- Use your hand as normally as possible when the pain allows you to do this, even when you wear the tape and pressure bandage.
- You can remove the pressure bandage as soon as the pain allows you to do this.
- You have to wear the buddy tape for at least a week. After one week you can remove the buddy tape when the pain allows you to do this. Wear the buddy tape for a maximum of 3 weeks.
- Use a new pressure bandage and tape when you think this is necessary. You can buy new materials at the pharmacy or re-use the materials you got at the Emergency Department. You can find instructions on how to apply the pressure bandage in the app, BovenIJ Trauma, or in the link stated underneath in this folder.
- The fracture is close to the joint. Therefore, start moving the hand as soon as the pain allows you to do this. This prevents the hand from getting stiff. You can find exercises in the app, BovenIJ trauma, or in the end of this information folder.
- Are you in pain? Use mild pain killers, such as paracetamol. Do not wait with paracetamol until the pain is too much. You are allowed to take a maximum of 4 times a day, 2 tablets of 500mg, on fixed times.
- This fracture almost always heals well with time and use – no specific treatment is required and therefore routine follow-up is unnecessary. It can take 6 weeks before you are able to use the hand.
- As the bone heals a lump will form at the break site and the knuckle will not be as prominent. This is unlikely to affect the function of your hand.
- Physiotherapy is not necessary. Are you not satisfied with the function of the hand after 6 weeks? You can ask for a referral for the physiotherapist from your general practitioner.
- Does the pain increase, or does it not get better? Please contact the Fracture-phone (Breuklijn). We will make an appointment when it is needed.
U can always call us.
Do you still have questions after reading the folder? Contact the hospital ‘Fracture’ phone, number 020 – 634 6195 available Monday – Friday 9.00-12.00 and 13.00-16.00. Do you have questions about payment or insurance? Contact your insurance company or visit www.bovenij.nl page ‘Kosten en verzekering’ (in Dutch).
More information online
Virtual Fracture Care app
In the Virtual Fracture Care app you can find more information about your injury. You can also find exercises here to improve your recovery. You can find the app in the Appstore (iPhone) and in the Google Store (Android).
For a video about the pressure bandage and buddy tape, visit the following link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsrYBtwG0YQ
Contact BovenIJ Hospital
Fracture-Phone (Breuklijn) Mo – Fr 10.00-12.00 / 13.00-16.00
020 - 634 6194
020 - 634 6200
For us it is important that our patients are satisfied. That is why we aim to treat you as well as possible during your visit. Despite our effort, it is possible that situations occur which can make you feel unhappy. Are you dissatisfied? Please let us know, so we can find a solution together.
Broken 5th Metacarpal bone
After a fracture of the fifth metacarpal stiffness and loss of strength can occur. The exercises described below can prevent this from happening. Initially gently move the hand and fingers and gradually resume daily activities within the limits of discomfort. Thereby you can start the exercises underneath, at least 3 times a day.
Massage the fingers
You should start with a massage of the fingers. When you have (healed) scars, you can also massage those.
Hand bend and straighten
Bend and straighten your fingers so you feel a mild to moderate stretch. You can use your other arm to assist if necessary. Do not push into pain. You can start this exercise as soon as the pain allows you to do this.
Bend and extent the finger(s). You can put more and more force during the exercise. With this exercise you are training the muscles and range of motion of the finger(s).
- Practice at least three times a day and do at least 10 repeats.
- If necessary, you can practice in warm water or with the use of a stress ball.
- Try to use your hand as regular as possible, that will also practice the finger(s).
|Openingstijden||24 uur per dag|
|Route||Via ingang Spoedpost (achterzijde van het ziekenhuis)|