Bicycle spoke injury
This kind of injury occurs when lower limbs get stuck in between the spokes of the bicycle. We do not see a fracture on the X-ray and there is no deep wound. We treat a bicycle spoke injury with a pressure bandage.
A bicycle spoke injury is common in Holland. We treat your child with a band-aid and a pressure bandage.
|After 3 days||
Follow the instructions for an optimal recovery.
- After 3 days you can remove the band-aid and the pressure bandage.
- You or your child can walk as soon as the pain allows it.
- When the pressure bandage is loose, you can replace this with a tubigrip. A tubigrip looks like a sock. Most likely you will get it at the emergency department. You can also buy it at the pharmacy. You should not wear the tubigrip during the night.
- In the night you can place a pillow underneath the foot to reduce the swelling.
- Are you or is your child in pain? Use a mild painkiller, for example paracetamol. Do not wait with paracetamol until the pain is too much.
Instructions for the wound after 3 days
- Clean the wound every day, using the shower. Continue this until the wound is closed.
Put a new band-aid on the wound when it is necessary.
- Is the wound red and does the redness increase? Contact the fracture-phone (Breuklijn).
- This injury almost always heals well with time and use – no specific treatment is required and therefore routine follow-up is unnecessary.
- Does the pain increase or does the wound not heal? Please contact the fracture-phone (Breuklijn). We will make an appointment if it is needed.
U can always call us.
Do you still have questions after reading the folder? Contact the hospital ‘Fracture’ phone, number 020 – 634 6195 available Monday – Friday 9.00-12.00 and 13.00-16.00. Do you have questions about payment or insurance? Contact your insurance company or visit www.bovenij.nl page ‘Kosten en verzekering’ (in Dutch).
More information online
App BovenIJ Trauma
In our app, BovenIJ Trauma, you can find more information about your injury. You can also find exercises here to improve your recovery. You can find the app in the Appstore (iPhone) and in the Google Store (Android).
For a video about the pressure bandage visit the following link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHCDx3r7i6U
Contact BovenIJ Hospital
Fracture-Phone (Breuklijn) Mo – Fr 10.00-12.00 / 13.00-16.00
020 - 634 6194
020 - 634 6200
For us it is important that our patients are satisfied. That is why we aim to treat you as well as possible during your visit. Despite our effort, it is possible that situations occur which can make you feel unhappy. Are you dissatisfied? Please let us know, so we can find a solution together.
|Openingstijden||24 uur per dag|
|Route||Via ingang Spoedpost (achterzijde van het ziekenhuis)|